RE: MGB advice/opinions

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB advice/opinions
From: Gordon Bird <gb@the-bdc.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:56:11 -0400
> compression. The mechanic who checked it out was very
> impressed (he said it
> was the best non-restored car he had ever seen) but found a
> couple of small
> things that would need fixing within the next year. the owner
> wanted $4600,
> i bought the car for $4000 (which a couple of mechanics i
> know agreed was a
> fair to cheap price). I have probably spent $800 in the last
> few months
> fixing the things which needed doing, so that squared up. for other
> estimates of price check out online trader.

IME that is a very cheap price!  I ran across the 80 B that I bought new,
now on its 4th owner, but still as orig as I sold it (desmogged with Weber
DCOE) and looking immaculate.  Orig paint, top, everything, even Ansa
exhaust I put on.  I sold at 42k miles, now has 64k miles.  Current owner
said he paid $8k in '98.  I sold it in '89 for $4500, and he turned down my
offer of $10k to get it back.  I guess I would consider one with 7k on the
clock, and original in great shape for $11k.
I agree with Joseph that it does need a thorough checking out though.
Just MHO,

Gordie Bird
62 MGA
80 MGB (not orig, or even real nice, but fairly cheap ($2500)and real solid
body)
86 Audi 4kq (not worth squat, but great shape and fun in snow and on track)