Re: Early MGB diff ratios

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early MGB diff ratios
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:20:10 -0500
At 07:25 PM 7/8/2000 -0700, Lawrie Alexander wrote:

>I do know that the MGA gearsets will fit in an early B, "banjo" style casing.
>
>I do know that the axle called a Salisbury is the later style, where the
gears are accessed through a plate on the back of the axle housing.

>I don't know if Kai is correct in saying all those ratios were available
for a Salisbury axle. Certainly, several ratios were available for the
early, "banjo" axle, in the ratios that Kai mentions. For the Salisbury,
I've only ever seen 3.9 to 1 or the MGC ratios (3.6 and 3.07, I believe)

>Barney's addendum must surely refer to "banjo" ratios, as there's no way I
know of to adapt T-series rear end gears to a Salisbury axle.

>Now, is everyone sufficiently confused?

Well, thank you, I for one am now a little less confused.  Sorry, the word
"Salisbury" sort of blew right past me, as I thought the earlier post was
about banjo style rear ends.  The TD, TF, MGA, and early (banjo axle) MGB
ring and pinion sets are interchangeable.  Not absolutely sure about the
T-type carriers, but the MGA and early MGB differential carriers are
interchangeable, except for differences in the number of splines in the sun
gears mating to the half-shafts.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg