OD and fuel economy

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD and fuel economy
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:27:55 -0400
This past six months I have been keeling a close watch on fuel economy on my
MGB
more out of curiosity than anything else.

I had a DCOE Weber on the engine with no OD and I was getting 22-24 mpg.
I then switched to a set of(rebuilt)  HS4 carbs. I noticed that power
dropped
off slightly (in the upper rev range) and the throttle response was not as
crisp but
certainly acceptable. The fuel economy went up to the 28mpg range.

In the past couple of months I installed the OD trans I purchased and fuel
economy
has now increased to the 30-33 mpg range. The interesting thing is that I
now drive the
car faster (cruising at 75+mph @ 3500rpm), yet the fuel economy is better
than not having
OD and cruising at 65mph. Go figure!

I have a set of HS6 carbs which I will installing in the winter and make yet
another
comparison.

BTW: the addition of the OD is the best accessory you can add to am MGB.
Previously
I would not wonder more than 200 miles away from home, because it got
annoying travelling at
70mph and having the engine buzzing away. Now I am doing 500+ miles road
trips and feel so much
more relaxed driving on the freeways and arriving more refreshed at the
destination.

gerry brinkman