Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive

To: hobbes@senet.com.au, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil - the drama continues, and gets expensive
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:29:26 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/00 5:12:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hobbes@senet.com.au writes:

<< I'm pissed off. I'm disappointed. I'm taking it out on you kind souls on
the
 MG list (thanks for reading guys). Sheesh. When I started looking at cars,
 my wife told me I had to get the car checked out properly by a mechanic
 before buying it. I did - the first time ever. It checked out fine. Now, two
 months later, she's putting her hand up for a new motor - well, I was going
 to put a hot motor in anyway, but not this &^%$# year. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

First of all, don't blame the mechanic, and please don't let the car hear you
say these things.  You have a 24 year old car.  Things are going to break.
Part of the "fun" of owning an old car is fixing things when they break.
Rich people have fun finding the best mechanics money can buy to fix their
cars, and the rest of us have fun fixing them ourselves.

Unless you have a complete history of all the repairs done on the car since
new, and you know exactly how the car was driven by all the POs, you can't
possibly figure out why it broke.  If you like the car and you like driving
it, either take your time and fix it yourself, or save the money and get it
fixed.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget