Re: rear end shims/clunk

To: "Diane S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end shims/clunk
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:04:09 -0700
Diane,

Obviously the shops that you have talked to are either too busy to take on a
relatively small job, or not qualified to work on your car! From your
description, of the problem, changing the differential thrust washers should
make a worthwhile improvement. However, your statement that the car now
judders occasionally does suggest that something else is wrong - though not
something, I surmise, that has anything to do with the clunk. (Unless the
clunk is caused by something in the differential breaking up or a bearing
going really bad, both of which are highly unusual in Salisbury rear axles.)

Since you appear not to be located near a repair shop that can be relied
upon, I regret my only suggestion is to spread your net wider and look for
another shop that does understand that replacing the differential thrust
washer is a straightforward operation, requiring no expensive re-setting up
of the spider gears.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center