Re: MG-Road-rage-and-hand gun-in the press

To: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: MG-Road-rage-and-hand gun-in the press
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@huntnet.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:26:07 -0500
Don, Having spent many years listening to people trying to justify their
actions  by finding fault with someone else, I am quite doubtful that the
self-proclaimed victim was actually wronged.  I suspect that he was himself
suffering from the currently popular "road rage". Certainly he was the
aggressor.  When he exited his vehicle and accosted the MG driver, that was a
clearly aggressive act, and I have no problem with the MG driver taking
whatever steps were necessary to avoid further agression and to preclude harm
to himself.  If that includes laying a handgun in his lap and telling the
assaulter to get back in his vehicle, so be it.  None of us are obliged to
accept threat of harm or actual harm from any of our fellow citizens.
Unfortunately in the US, personal freedom is too often equated with the right
to do whatever one chooses whenever, regardless of danger or detriment to
others.  We have lost one of the basic premises of our existance, respect for
others. Though you and I may differ on various matters politic, I would defend
your right to believe differently, and your right to be free of threat.  John