Re: generators and pos ground

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: generators and pos ground
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:14:07 +0100
Start the car and monitor the voltage on the brown circuit.  You should see
better than 12.7v, and hopefully around 14v if the system is charging, less
than 12.7 if not.

If not, disconnect the wiring from the D and F terminals on the generator.
Connect the two terminals together, and connect a voltmeter from that
connection to ground.  Start the car BUT DO NOT REV IT.  Slowly increase the
revs while watching the voltmeter.  Do not exceed 20v, this should happen
before 1000 rpm.  Do not rev the engine to achieve 20v.  If this test is OK
the generator itself is good, the problem might be in the control box.

If you only .05v to 1v the field winding may be faulty.  If you only see
about 4v to 5v the armature winding may be faulty.

The cut-out relay in the control box should operate when the generator is
putting out between 12.7 and 13v, this should connect charging voltage from
the D terminal to the B terminal, and incidentally extinguish the ignition
warning light.  This light should come on when you first turn on the
ignition and go off when the system is charging.  If the warning light does
not work then shame on you, and that's what you get for ignoring it.

PaulH.