Fun with ZS carbs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fun with ZS carbs
From: "Keith Gernert" <kgernert@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:50:11 -0400
Having recently obtained a tuning tool for ZS carbs (thanks, Bill S.), I got up
the courage to take a look at my 79 B's carb this evening.

>From the soot on the spark plugs and the slight darkness of the exhaust, I
know the thing is running too rich.  I have read that the auto choke is often
the main culprit in this, so I started there.

The first thing I noticed is that the housing to which to coolant hoses attach
was free-floating.  I could rotate it by hand, within the limits of those
hoses.
I'm a newbie to this, but I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to be.  In
attempting to tighten those three little screws, however, I discovered that two
of them were already stripped out.  Only one would tighten -- and I didn't
crank too hard on it, for fear that I would complete the set.

As you would imagine, my question is this:  Is it possible (or worthwhile) to
repair these screws so that the choke housing can be tightened down
properly?

--
Keith Gernert
79 MGB