Re: Fuel Pump, car stereo

To: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, car stereo
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 07:47:17 -0700
Buying stereos for cars is easier now than it used to be.  Now they're
almost all standard DIN, one-size-fits-all, but car stereos DO come in
different sizes, although that's less true now than it used to be.

I put a CD player in my 78B, the only problem was that I had to file the
rounded edges of the radio opening down a bit.  Took me longer to actually
find the file than it did to actually do the work.

It didn't go all the way back at first, but a little inspection showed that
it was jamming on some cable (heater control cable, I think).  You'll have
to move any blocking cables.  Not sure if 70BGT will have the same setup as
the 78 or not.

If it's jamming against the wall, though, then there's not a lot you can do
other than (1) relocate the stereo or (2) have it stick out, or (3) buy a
different sized stereo.  Measure your available opening depth and then call
a company like Crutchfield to see what'll fit.  But check first to make
sure it's just not a cable in the way.  It's a tight fit, but my DIN went
in with very little problems.  Actually my biggest problem was that the DPO
had miswired the power on the old stereo (the original stereo used to reset
whenever I honked the horn).  I fixed that situation in a hurry! :)

- Tab

ps: If you had a B and not a GT, and hadn't already bought your stereo,
then I would suggest that when buying a new stereo to make sure to get
plenty of wattage, because at 80MPH with the wind blowing and the engine at
4500 rpm and trucks blasting by, you need all the output you can get.  With
a GT you don't have these problems... :)