MGB electronic oil pressure sending unit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB electronic oil pressure sending unit
From: "John A. Walker" <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:36:45 -0700
My father-in-law has a 1968 BGT that he recently got FREE from friend who
could not figure out how
to get it to pass the Washington Stare emissions test.
After a little tweaking, a new exhaust header and a new fuel tank, the BGT
now runs perfectly.
While working on her this last Saturday, the oil pressure gauge suddenly
dropped to zero. (oops)
After some tinkering we realized that the problem was that the oil pressure
sending unit was dying.
No problem we thought, we'll just buy a new one.  How much could they be right?
We consult our friendly Moss catalog and there they are for
$130?!?!?!?  for a sending unit?
I replaced the same part on my '68 Mustang last year and I think it cost me
a grand total of $12.50
Does anybody have any idea why an MG oil pressure sending unit would be
worth $130?
Is it just because they were only used for a couple of years and are
therefore rare?

At $130 we are probably going to end up swapping out the entire gauge for
the later mechanical type.

-JW

         John Walker
      john@rmartin.net