Re: stamped numbers on axle case

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: stamped numbers on axle case
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:08:31 -0400
Evangelos,

I have no particular basis or reference for this opinion, but the numbers
10 and 37 when associated with an MG rear axle usually refers to the number
of teeth in the pinion and ring set inside the differential - which allows
you to compute the rear axle ratio.  In this case it would be 3.7 to 1.
But unless your MGB was originally a car equipped with an automatic
transmission, or has had the rear axle replaced, this isn't a correct
number.  It should be 11/43 which computes to the standard MGB tube axle
ratio of 3.909 to 1.

Bill