Re: Petronix screws

To: "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: Re: Petronix screws
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:13:22 -0400
Got that right, although it does work as a delaying tactic. Couple years
ago I just couldn't get the Miget to run right. So I took it to the local
LBC place in Bucks Co, PA. I was informed that the rotor had picked up a
bit of wobble and that a Pertronix was just the bit to fik it, or plunk
in a new dizzy. I opted for the Pertronix. Ran great until this past
spring, then it got so bad I had no idea what was going on. Turns out the
wobble had gotten so bad the rotor was smacking the cap contacts and the
cap was full of brass dust. Then I plunked in a 25D (yea I know that
ain't the right dizzy for the 1500, but it was free), reinstalled the
Pertronix and all was almost right with the world. Then I adjusted the
valves and away I went ;-). But putting the Pertronix in the dizzy worked
for a couple years, or about 10K miles.

Larry

quote:)

>   More likely the shaft bushings are shot.  Installing the Ignitor is
>not a good substitute for replacing the shaft bushings.  After all, the
>rotor is wobbling around in the cap too.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  CR
>

>Max Heim wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, that sounds like a bent shaft. You might want to do something about
>> that, it could conceivably mess up the mechanical advance function, or
>> even affect the Pertronix, I suppose (not knowing exactly how they
>> function).

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.