Re: US Formula One GP

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: US Formula One GP
From: David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:32:52 -0500
I am still in awe.  My son and I spent both Saturday and Sunday at the
track.  Practice and Qualifying were observed from the Grandstand
opposite the pits so we could see into the garages; fascinating!  Teams
were changing front and rear wing setups trying to get a handle on the
track.  And the sound!  18000 rpm's bouncing off the stands........no
earplugs  as the cars were mostly single and we wanted the full effect.
Had we sat there on race day, plugs would have been in place.  The
McLaren's have a shrill piercing sound that was almost painful.

We walked around the entire grounds Saturday and watched the Parade of
Historic F1 cars from one of the grassy knolls (not THAT grassy knoll).
What a site, Gurney Weslake Eagle, Ferrari 312T(Lauda)....cars I thought
I have to see at Goodwood.

The race was awesome until Mika's engine let go.  We re-upped for next
year and will take our own food.  Indy could learn a thing or three from
the folks at Road America; they don't run out of food!  It wasn't very
good either; IMHO.

Difficult to get pix thru all the catch fence so I concentrated on
having fun.
Can't wait til next year.

Dave
59 MGA