Now for the GT (longish

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Now for the GT (longish
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:29:47 -0500
Hello friends,
   This is a quick update for those of you who have expressed
interest in the reclamation of the two flooded MGBs that I
bought.  First of all, my heart-felt thoughts go out to those in
southern England who lost everything in the floods.  I have
written a few words of encouragement to Chris Rose in the
hopes that he will rebuild his drowned car.  They CAN be
saved.

+ Our '79 B LE is back running.  I wouldn't call it running
   'great' yet because the DGV needs a proper rebuild.  The
   PO reported that it had an 'unstable' idle before the flood.
   Idle 'searching' is the only weakness observed.  Oil pressure
   is great resulting from the new bearings.  70psi cold, 50psi
   at idle at operating temperature using 20W50 Castrol.
   Beyond cosmetic repairs, which my 14 y/o son is implementing
   like a wildfire, the only remaining issue, besides the carb
   rebuild, is a leaky seal on the forward tappet gallery cover.
   The new gasket must have slipped and inadequately sealed
   when reinstalled.

+ The '70 B-GT is going into the garage this evening (right after
   the repairs to the tappet gallery seal are completed on the '79).
   Disassembly may start as early as this evening.  At the least,
   I will drain the water out of the crankcase.  Interestingly enough,
   the water in the crankcase naturally goes to the BOTTOM of
   the pan lifting the oil high in the crankcase.  The bearings and
   lower cylinders are immersed in oil.  Some times there are little
   silver linings on dark clouds.  More as it develops.

Best regards and thanks to all who offered sound advice,

Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research
5727 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK
Voice: +1 918-747-3456