First of all, I want to thank every one of you who took time out to e-mail me
with information, advice and support when I posted my original question about
the MGB that was flooded in October, I won the fight against the EA but have
finally heard back from the garage.
The news is not good.
The Insurance people finally got around to visiting the car and mine, along
with all others, has been offered a settlement value which is, to be honest,
more than I would have expected from an insurance company, and reflects the
real value of the car plus its contents.
The bad news is that even if I accept this offer, due to the nature of the
contamination if received during the flood, the INSURANCE company are chosing
to write off the car in such a way that I would never be able to drive it
legally on the roads in the UK again.
So, whilst I got around the problem of the Environmental Agency, the Insurance
company would not play ball, and so, with a heavy heart, I have taken the
decision to accept the insurance company offer (well, I've obviously asked for
a bit more as they'd expect me to refuse the first offer :) and have to
therefore say goodbye to my car one last time.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help but in this case, I
am just not in a position to fight this one any longer.
I've nowhere to keep the car (the person who was looking after it for me has a
pregnant girlfriend and I can't really ask him to keep a sewage contaminated
car in his garage!) I've not got the time nor the money to get the car
repaired (and can't now do that anyway) and, at the end of the day, I guess I
should be happy to have got the full value of the car from the insurance
Just somehow doesn't make me feel any better about the whole thing.
Sorry this one didn't have a happy ending, I hoped so much that it would.
appreciate all your help.
1963 MGB RIP :(
"Buy all your products online with Totalise Shop.