Re: Falling Spares

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Falling Spares
From: "Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:10:18 +1030
> Despite a witness having previously reported the theft and the police
> having a good idea who it was, about 6-12 months after the incident, the
> police notified me that they had been unable to do anything. And they
wonder
> why people don't have much confidence in the police any more....

I too worry about the amount of revenue raising our police (Adelaide now)
are forced to do as opposed to real police work. My wife recently had a
puppy stolen from her pet shop. The next day, the same people tried the
same scam at a different pet shop, only this shop had been warned by my
wife. The shop keeper rang the police to tell them when the crooks would
arrive to collect the puppy. The police turned up in a clearly marked
police car, which they parked immediately in front of the shop's door - not
wanting to be obvious or anything. They waited ten minutes, then left
because it was the end of their shift. The crooks turned up five minutes
later. The shop owner rang the emergency number - it rang out. She rang the
police directly, it took a patrol 45 mins to get there, by which time the
crooks had long gone, without the puppy. We reckon the cops didn't want to
catch the crooks and get caught up in all that paperwork at the end of
their shift. Incidentally, we were at a trade show last night and were
talking to a different pet shop owner again. Sure enough, our stolen puppy
had been sold to this shop the same day it was pinched from us.

Sadly, this sort of experience is very common nowadays. The police are very
busy running around with speed cameras and doing other things that increase
revenue, but normal policing is neglected, due largely to low numbers.
However, the above story goes beyond lack of numbers, it was just very
slack policing.

Cheers
Richard
76 B