MG heaters

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG heaters
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:41:51 -0500
Larry & others-

While not a concourse solution to the heater problem, I have one that is
at least all British.

Years ago, prior to V-8's & Vintage air, I too needed more heat. A trip
to the local British car repair/parts/salvage business yielded a blower
motor & fan from a TR7 w/ air conditioning. The nice thing about the
unit is that it is mounted on a metal plate, & it is also a 2 speed
unit, using the large resistor mentioned by others.

It is necessary to enlarge the hole in the front cover of the MGB heater
unit to insert the larger fan unit. The plate is then screwed to the
front cover with sheet metal screws, the resistor is mounted on the
outside of the heater, & a new switch installed.

If you find the correct TR7 heater motor, it must be from a car with air
conditioning,  let me know & I will supply a cutting template for the
front of the heater. If you have a Dremmel or a small reciprocating saw,
you can perform the surgery without removing the front of the heater,
which eliminates a real pain.

Jim Stuart