Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt

To: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: <sigh> Dale Earnhardt
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:14:39 -0800
Kevin & Deana Brown wrote:

> I couldn't believe it when I just read it.  I was watching the race on TV
> today and Dales wreck didn't look all that bad - certainly no where near as
> bad as the multiple roll over / flip wreck that Tony Stewert had 25 laps
> earlier.

        Count our household among the mourners.

        I'm in shock for pretty much the same reason. Most of the time, you get
some twisted race cars, and some injuries, but it's been a very long
time since anyone died in a race.

        The Winston Cup cars have incredibly stong frames. Even after a severe
crash, the cars are pretty much intact. I'm starting to wonder if they
shouldn't design energy absorbing structures into the frames. Indy cars
intentionally fly into little pieces on impact which absorbs the energy.

        Also, that concrete doesn't give. The person who invents a practical,
energy absorbing barrier is going to get beatified.

        --Dave Ambrose