RE: Glenwood Springs Rallye/Tour/Banquet/Car Show/Funkhanna

To: "MGS List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Glenwood Springs Rallye/Tour/Banquet/Car Show/Funkhanna
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:48:18 -0600
Preface:

This is a long message about the MGCC Rocky Mountain Centre, 49th Annual
Glenwood Springs
Rallye.  If you have no interest in these type events, now is the time to hit
the old delete
key, if you do find these events interesting I'll give you some "have to know"
information
first, then further describe the event.

Dates: June 8, 9, 10, 2001
Start: Denver Colorado
End: Glenwood Springs Colorado
Entry Fee: $35.00
Web address: http://mgcc.org/glenwood2001/main.htm
email address: larryhoy@prodigy.net

Not to late to hit the delete key ... still here?  OK read on:

What's the Glenwood Rallye?  It's a "must do" rallye.  At some point in your MG
hobby you
owe it to yourself to attend this event!  Remember you are actually creating
history here.
The MG Car Club, Rocky Mountain Centre has run the Glenwood Springs rallye
continuously for
49 years.  This is the granddaddy of them all; no other rallye in North America
can claim
this record!

If you're not sure your fine British automobile will make the trip that's OK,
bring whatever
car you own.  Yes, we will let you drive that non British car ... I don't even
want to
mention the type of car that seems to win the tour each year.  If you have a
British car you
want to enter, do it, maybe one of our British cars can win the tour title back!

The tour will be on Friday June 8 and start in Arvada, CO (a Denver suburb) at
Gunther
Toody's, a 50's style diner, where you can have a little breakfast and read
over the tour
instructions before starting out on your adventure.  The tour will proceed over
the great
Rocky Mountains and end up in the resort city of Glenwood Springs.  Glenwood
Springs has
long been known for its natural "healing" mineral hot springs.  Over the last
hundred years
it has been a destination of many of the nations "rich and famous".  As you
drive through
the Rocky Mountains you are likely to see more beautiful scenery than you've
seen in a long
time.  Imagine yourself winding through the sunny skies of Colorado with the
top down on
your roadster, smelling the pine trees and clean air of the Rockies, not to
mention awesome
views of the 14,000 foot snow capped peaks.  The tour instructions will clearly
guide you
along the route and keep you challenged with tantalizing questions along the
way.  Have you
ever seen Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep?  How about elk, or pronghorn (look
that one up!).
Guaranteed this will be a tour you won't forget.

When you arrive in Glenwood Springs, you will find a quaint Rockies resort town
with various
activities to keep you busy on Friday night.  Many of us will head down to the
local Go Cart
track for a little driving fun.

Saturday morning will be highlighted by the start of the rallye, first car off
at 9:01 a.m.
The rallye is a standard Time, Speed, Distance (TSD) format.  About 170 miles
of rallying
through the western slope of the Rockies.  There will be classes for the most
novice to the
most advanced ralliests, so don't be intimidated by the thought of the rallye.
If you
haven't participated in one before you will find this to be a fun and
challenging event.
Since there is a novice class, even the first time entrant has the opportunity
to win an
award.

After the rallye you'll be back in time to enjoy some treats at the hospitality
center in
the host hotel, maybe just relax, or prepare for the banquet.  The banquet will
surely be a
good time, many door prizes will be available (provided by some of the fine
vendors that
frequent this list).  But don't stay up too late, or party to hardy, there will
be more good
times Sunday morning.

Sunday morning your hosts will be up early preparing the city park for the
funkhanna and car
show.  The park is located right next to the Colorado River.  This isn't the
mucky waters of
the Colorado River you've seen running through the great flatlands of the
western US; yes
it's the same river, but with a different personality.  This Colorado River's
waters are
clear and cold, you'll be able to hear the noisy water as it tumbles over the
large stones
and boulders lying in the river bed.  If you have room pack that fly rod.  Your
car will be
parked on the grassy City Park adjacent to these waters, providing an excellent
photo
opportunity, imagine catching that big lunker rainbow trout while sitting next
to your car!
Your car isn't a "show car"?  Don't worry about that.  Yes, some of the cars
will show up in
trailers (wait until you see these concours cars!) but most are driven there,
some are even
daily drivers.  There's a place for any and all cars that show up.  Dozens of
trophies will
be awarded, for all makes and models.  We even have a "Diamond in the Rough"
trophy, for
that car that isn't quite done!

You'll have plenty of time to pull your car out of the show and participate in
the
Funkhanna, which will take place at the same time as the car show in the
adjacent parking
lot.  You've never participated in a Funkhanna?  Don't know what it is?  Words
alone can't
to justice to a funkhanna, but I'll try.  You will drive you car through an
obstacle course,
made from traffic cones, speed is not critical, but all sorts of odd skills
are!  You'll
have a good time doing it, as will the spectators watching!  I guess you'll
have to attend
the Glenwood to really appreciate a Funkhanna.

The event will conclude around Noon on Sunday with the awards ceremony.  To the
delight of
the participants (maybe you) there will be dozens of wonderful trophies
awarded.  These
awards will not be the generic ribbons or gold plastic trophies you are used
to.  They will
be a memorable trophy that is in keeping with the nature of this 'one of a
kind' event.
(Yes, I the design has been created, but it is a highly guarded secret)

I hope I haven't been to wordy, and lost your interest already.  If you are
still reading
this you may be wondering how to enter in this fun event.  You can visit the MG
Car Club,
Rocky Mountain Center's web site at www.mgcc.org ; or simply reply to this
email with your
snail mail address and I'll send you a brochure and entry form.

Thanks for your time,  hope to seen you in June!

Larry Hoy
Chairman
49th Annual Glenwood Springs Rallye
Plan on attending!