RE: engine swap

To: "'Martin'" <martin@virtual-motors.com>,
Subject: RE: engine swap
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:53:10 -0400
Martin wrote:

> I have a Riley One-Point-Five. For all intents and purposes it shares
> a common engine with the MGA. My 1500 engine threw a rod through both
> sides of the block.  I found a 3 main 1800 donor.  I have some
> questions about swapping motors. Can I use the flywheel and back
> plate from the 1500 motor on the 1800.  Other than also swapping the
> front plate, is there any other concerns I should be aware of?

I haven't done this with a Riley ... but, this is rather common practice
on MGAs.  Assuming the MGA commonality ... the Riley flywheel, front
plate, and back plate should bolt right up the 1800 block ... as well as
the intake and exhaust manifolds ... and, the 1800 spigot bush (crank)
should accept the tranny input shaft.  I'm not certain which water pump,
pulley, and fan combo that the Riley is fitted with ... so, you may want
to check them against the 1800 bits to insure that you have adequate
clearance between the fan and radiator.

Larry Unger
'61 MGA 1600 MkII Roadster

///