Re: Replacing Front A-Arm Bushings

To: "Dan DiBiase" <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Front A-Arm Bushings
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:05:44 -0300
Dan;
Just came in from the garage where I finished up replacing the very same
bushings on my '74 "B".
The short answer is yes. You have to remove everything. You should
order/obtain all new nuts, cotter pins, lock washers, seals, etc. No big
deal, everything will not set you back the price of a case of beer. Unless,
of course, your break off the sway bar link, like I did, (mucho rusted,
grown together, even). Also, I found the threads on one of the front pivot
spindles were rusted beyond safe service so I got a new one of those.
When you put the jack under the spring pan, you may find that the jack will
lift the car off the stand before you can remove the bolts to release spring
pan, and then the spring. If this happens, wrap a cable or a chain around
the bottom of the jack and up around the shock body to prevent the car from
lifting. Some guys around here also chain the spring in case it gets away in
the process. Lots of energy stored in there just waiting to getcha. But its
really not that scary. Just be careful.

Good luck and keep us posted if you get into trouble.

Dave