Working on modern cars (was daily driver)

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:25:51 -0400
>Lets say the MG is worth $6000, consider the replacement, if I buy a new
car I'd have to spend
>$20,000 plus.  AND I can't work on it!  What could be eaiser to fix than an
MG?

I have heard this (I can't work on modern cars) argument on many
occasions on this list.

What confuses me, is what is so different on a modern car that makes it
difficult to work on ?

Brake work is still brake work, I don't care if it's the disc/drums of a MGB
or
the discs/drums of a VW Golf. The principle and work routine are the same.

Suspension has changed somewhat, yeh, we are used to cart springs and
lever-arm shocks. Today we have to deal with MacPherson struts. Armed with
a socket set, I can dis-assemble the front suspension in about 1-2 hours on
my
Audi - about the same time it would take me to perform the same operation
on my MGB.

Engines : Yeh we have evolved from OHV to OHC, and we've gone from iron
block to alloy block/heads, but an modern engine is essentially the same
as that found under the hood of my MGB. It might be a bit harder to find,
but believe
me - under all that plastic, you'll find a reciprocation engine you will
instantly
recognise. Same applies to gear-boxes/axles/diffs, they are very similar to
the
components on our beloved classic cars.

I think the only place where there has been a drastic change is the engine
managment area. But modern fuel injection is fairly easy to work on.
Now-a-days
we have on board diagnostics, which goes some way to tell us where we should
be looking
for the problem.

The older Bosch CIS FI is essentially a glorified carb. There is a flapper
which
rises/falls according to the air-flow the engine needs - this flapper is
attached to a "needle"
which meters the amount of fuel - Sounds like an SU Carb doesn't it ?
The current generation of FI - is even easier to work on.

I have cars which range from 1963-1999, I find working on each of them
"different but the same".

Sooooo - why is it so difficult to work on modern cars ?

gerry

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list