Re: Defroster in BGT--and reminiscences

To: Ptegler <ptegler@gouldfo.com>, mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Defroster in BGT--and reminiscences
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:39:37 -0700
Thanks, I've seen those kits in the past.  It's been a long time since
I've ordered anything from J.C. Whip-me, I guess I'm due.

I ordered my first replacement top from them in 1970, and I couldn't get
it to fit.  Sent it back and ordered one from Amco.  It wasn't much
better, but at least it had the fasteners installed.  Those were
pre-Moss days.  I was pretty much stuck with poor quality after market
stuff or OEM items from the dealer for big bucks.  Now we only have the
former option! ;-).

In the 70's there were THREE MG dealerships in Seattle, all within 5
miles of my house. I spent a lot of time at the parts counters of all
three (some things never change).  I remember buying a new first gear
(the DPO had put in a new laygear but left the chipped first gear in,
and screwed up the layshaft bearings too!) for $125 ($514 in today's $$)
for a used OD tranny I got from a wrecking yard for $150.  After new
bearings and seals I was in it nearly $500, $2000 today!   I should have
waited, they are lots cheaper now!

We paid $1895 for the '65 in 1969 with 70,000 miles on it, that's $8600
today.  These cars were considerably more expensive than American cars
at that time, but worth it.  I remember that it came down to a 1965
Mustang sedan with a six or the MGB for more money, and we made the
right choice!  I doubt that I would still have that Mustang if we had
gone that route.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list