RPM's

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RPM's
From: "Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA 60)"
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:59:00 +0200
I'm usually a silent list reader, but let me throw my hat into the ring.  I
purchased my first MGB ('69) in November of last year.   Tach'o yellows at
5500 and reds at 6000 rpm.  The car has overdrive.  My question is this...
When I'm driving, I usually change gears at about 3000, maybe 3500 rpm as
this is when it sounds as if it's beginning to strain the engine.  In my '97
Mitsubishi Mirage, it's about the same, maybe 4000 tops.  The problem is
that by the time I'm in 4th gear at 3500 rpm, I'm only cruising at about
40-50 miles an hour.  If get the rpm up to 4500, the engine sounds like it's
really straining and I only just break 55-if I'm lucky with tail winds, 60.
This happened both before and after I had the engine converted from leaded
to unleaded and rebuilt.

Any suggestions?

Keith
'69 B enjoying Coastal Italy