Re: Ignition Harness.

To: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Harness.
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:06:51 -0700
I may have one in my collection from the '73 parts car, I'll check
tonight for you.  I've actually salvaged a melted harness like this in
an old Saab I once had, and you might try too if it isn't completely
fused into a solid mass.  Typically the wire that drew the excessive
current will melt its insulation off in only a few places and short only
to other nearby wires. Most other wires in the bundle may have their
insulation softened and fused together, but are not shorted out and thus
are still serviceable.

I've been able  to cut off the wrap, peel the wires apart to a large
degree, isolate the shorts, and wrap the  exposed wire with tape.  It
all depends on how hot it all got, take a look and see if this might be
easier than cutting out the harness and replacing it.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list