Re: Valve Noise Revisited

To: "Rich & Kerry Peterson" <kerry3@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Valve Noise Revisited
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:52:07 -0500
One immediate thing that comes to mind when you run tighter clearances is
that you run the risk of burning one or more valves. With a tighter
clearance, the valve opens sooner and closes later, effectively reducing the
amount of time that the valve has a chance to cool (while some cooling
occurs thru the valve guide, the valve cools best when fully closed against
the seat). Exhaust valves are more prone to burning as they are exposed to
the hot exhaust gases, while the intake is afforded the cooler intake
mixture.

I'd be the first to admit I'm no expert when it comes to valve/cam timing,
but if I remember correctly running tighter clearance will advance the cam
timing. Perhaps the more knowledgeable can continue this discussion,
Barney...

Jeff
'70MGB
Valves:"Rather hear them than smell them..."