Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:12:51 EDT
In a message dated 01/07/01 7:49:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The reasons were: my stats had me into a good rebuilt 4spd O/D unit at, at
> least $850 , with lots of room to keep shelling money into it for solenoids,
> switches etc.over the years.  OEM shifter problems. 1968 Technology.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had problems with my solenoids. I always drill
and lock-wire them in place, and solder the connections. You can't blame the
solenoid if your cheap plastic crimp-on electrical connection corrodes or
comes loose, or if the mounting bolts rattle loose.

>  I bought my T9 5 speed conversion kit.
> It's a Modern design,
> At the $1750 US dollars it cost me, that is about double the cost of a
> OEM 4speed with O/D, but I believe I bought "Piece of mind and
> Modern technology, and FUN" !

Some people prefer having the 5th gear on the stick. As one is rarely going
to be doing a 'racing' shift into, or out of OD, that has never seemed a
priority to me. One of the only valid arguments for a more modern box, IMHO,
is that the synchro design lasts longer. If you are a traditional MG driver,
and double clutch as a matter of course, this is less of an issue. BTW, I
mentioned double clutching on a Fiero group and they all said "What is that?
Why would you need to do it?"

> Gearing is everything, you can take any machine and make it do more
> with more gears, and it saves wear and tear on that machine if the
> operator does it carefully.You have more options right in your hand
> while shifting through the gears on a windy road. it shifts smooth as silk !

There is absolutely no advantage to the Sierra box in terms of gear ratios -
the MG CR gears set is better in fact for competition use. If you are
shifting into 5th on a windy road, you aren't revving it high enough ;-)

> The new 5 speeds give you much more than just that 5th gear !!
> I think all these tranny swaps are to get modern features into fun little
> cars.
> Like in hotrods in the 50's and 60's, everyone had a swap they liked and for
> good reasons. it's the Same today with LBC's.

Whoa Dan - slippery slope argument coming up. If you accept your argument for
updating the gearbox, what stands between you and the equally valid argument
about engine. A Mazda Miata engine is more reliable and produces more power
than the MG. If it's OK to change transmissions, why isn't it OK to change
engines. Then there is that pesky old fashioned suspension........

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list