Re: timing facts

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>,
Subject: Re: timing facts
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 13:35:38 -0500
At 10:56 AM 7/4/2001 -0700, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>Oh it'll go in backwards alright.  I have done it, without forcing it, on
a '77 engine....  Wouldn't start, but it did sputter...

>On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:14:18 -0500, Barney Gaylord wrote:
>>.... the dizzy drive is keyed off center at the connection between the
dizzy and the drive gear, ....

Well, since the distributor shaft with the drive dog on it cannot be
assembled backwards with the drive gear, that would mean you either had the
drive gear in 180 degrees out of position, or the distributor body rotated
180 degrees out of position, or the HT wires were installed on the wrong
plugs.

Getting the drive gear in 180 degrees out of position is actually fairly
common, as the shop manuals are somewhat misleading on the assembly
instructions (if you're not paying attention).  One problem is
understanding "the larger offset uppermost", and whether this refers to the
location of the slot or the size of the lumps on either side of the slot.
But even when you get that figured out, there's another possible "gotcha".

Instructions for installing the timing sprockets have you set the
crankshaft key at TDC, and the camshaft key at aproximately one o'clock,
and assemble the sprockets with the punch marks aligned.  What it casually
does not mention at that point is that the cam is indexed with the #4
cylinder on the compression stroke, not #1.  If you then proceed to install
the distributor drive gear as prescribed it will be 180 degrees out of
place.  You have to pay attention to the first sentence in the instructions
for installing the distributor drive gear: "Turn the engine until No.1
piston is at T.D.C. on its compression stroke".

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///