Re: tubes in Radial tires ?

To: Dan Furbish <BarnOwl@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: tubes in Radial tires ?
From: Bill Dudley <wdudley4@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:26:12 -0600
Dan,

With most wire wheels you will need to use a tube, radial or otherwise.  I used
Semperit radials with tubes for many years with no ill effects on stock MG wire
wheels, except after 20 years the rubber finally got hard and didn't grip the
road very well .   I am currently running radial  tires without tubes in new
Dayton chrome wire wheels.  No problems so far, but I wouldn't try it on my old
wires.

I wouldn't run tubes in good disc or rostyle wheels because I think the tire
would run hotter.

Bill Dudley
67 B (on its third set of tires)

Dan Furbish wrote:

> A friend  asked me my opinion about putting a tire tube inside
> a radial tire.
> My initial thought was, I heard once upon a time that it wasn't
> a good idea; but I really don't know why, or where I heard it.
> (should it be done, is it safe ?)
>
> Can someone please elaborate on this for me.
> TIA.
>
> Dan
> 68 MGBGT
> in Massachusetts