Negative camber on the left side - new springs?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Negative camber on the left side - new springs?
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:15:35 -0400
I noted some uneven wear on my left front tire
The outer edge of the tread is down to the
wear indicators with the tread getting gradually
thicker as you go about 2" toward the center line
of the tire.

After several people on the shop-talk list suggested
a problem with camber, I took some measurements using a
carpenter's square as a vertical reference.  Here
they are:

            Distance from vertical reference to rim
        Right Side           Left Side

top     21.4 mm               13.5 mm
bottom  19.3 mm               22.8 mm
       --------              ---------
diff     2.1 mm               -9.3 mm

With the diameter of the rim at the point I measured = 15" (381 mm)
and a bit of trigonometry, I get 0.32 degrees positive camber on the
right side and -1.4 degrees on the left.

I know that my measurement method was by now means super accurate, but
several repeated measurements confrimed that the left side definitely does
have noticable negative camber.  If you stand back from the car you can see
it.

The spec in my Haynes manual is 1 degree +1/4 -1.25 (i.e. +1.25 to -.25),
so the right side would appear to be OK, but the left side is about
0.15 degrees out.

History of the car:

I bought the tires nine years ago (Michelin 165-14).  They still have
decent tread (except for the left front), but I plan to replace them
this winter because of their age.

I replaced the front shocks and inner "A" arm bushings at about the same
time
as the tires.

I replaced the left front king pin and swivel arm about eight years ago.

I did a major restoration (sills, rockers, left side floor, repaint) four
years ago.

Questions:

1.  Is my math correct here?

2.  Given that the car sags to the left, will new springs be likely to
correct the problem or should I look elsewhere for the source?

Thanks,

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1980 MGB