RE: Engine rebuild

To: "'Stephen Listisen'" <otis10@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine rebuild
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:44:36 -0700
Steve:

Sorry to hear of your problem.

I rebuilt an engine for a guy in a similar state some years ago.  He had an
overzealous shop pull out all the plugs, including the one under the
distributor!

Don't panic.   I was able to match many of the plugs with off the shelf
brass rod sizes.

There were a couple that I had to put in a lathe and turn down.  If the
machine shop is worth it's salt, they should be able to make new plugs
without much problem.

I used Locktite brand sleeve adhesive to make sure the plugs didn't go
anywhere.

The 4 oil gallery plugs (2 on each end of the engine) should be readily
available, but the others are not going to be.

Kelvin Dodd.

> List,
>         I REALLY NEED HELP. Took my 71 B engine to the mechine shop to
> have it boiled, sandblasted. cam bearings pressed in.crank ground .10.
> My problem is the mechine shop drilled out all the brass plugs in the
> block. I ordered the ones shown in the V.B. cat. first they sent the
> wrong amount, then  this morning at the shop they showed me
> they were to
> small, wrong size. Lawrie you were right in the first place.
> Sorry dont
> want to start anything.
>          Does anyone know a source for a complete set of
> brass plugs for
> a mgb engine. Id really like to get it together, it gets cold
> early her
> in N. Ohio
>
>                                                                 Thanks
> for listening to my problems