Re: Misc Engine Rebuild Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Misc Engine Rebuild Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:11:17 -0700
on 8/15/01 5:59 AM, Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS at
Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL wrote:

> Greetings all-- now that I've pulled the engine/tranny from my '72 B, I've
> got a few questions:
>
> 1) I discovered a roller throwout bearing was installed years ago by the DPO
> during a clutch replacement-- can it be refurbed and reused? Otherwise I've
> got a standard one ready to go on my new o-drive tranny.

I don't think there is anything you can do to refurbish it. Go with the new
standard one -- there has been plenty of discussion as to whether the roller
one is an improvement or a liability. The most important thing is to put in
a new "zero time" bearing.

> 2) On my head, which was redone years (and ~5000 mi) ago, I had hardened
> seats installed to fit standard valves. Can these seats be ground to
> accommodate larger valves or must they be replaced?

They can be ground as part of a refit, but you'd have to measure to see if
there's enough metal for the bigger valves. I would suspect not, but ?

> 3) Which supplier out there stocks stainless exhaust hardware-- hangers,
> etc-- that fit particular aftermarket stainless systems?
>
> 4) Tranny steady rods-- mine's missing-- what's the advantage of them--
> should I source one for the reinstall?

Umm, don't get in a wreck and it won't matter. <g>

Actually, I have heard that if your motor mounts are allowed to deteriorate
sufficiently, hard braking can throw the fan into the radiator. The rod
prevents this, but so would maintaining the motor mounts.
.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149