Stand Proud America - non LBC

To: Jag List <xj@jag-lovers.org>, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Stand Proud America - non LBC
From: Dwbradbury@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:03:00 -0500
This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

     America: The Good Neighbour.
     Widespread but only partial news coverage was given
     recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from
     Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television
     commentator. What follows is the full text of his
     trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

     "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the
     Americans as the most generous and possibly the least
     appreciated people on all the earth.

     Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and
     Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the
     Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
     forgave other billions in debts. None of these
     countries is today paying even the interest on its
     remaining debts to the United States.

     When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956,
     it was the Americans who propped it up, and their
     reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets
     of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

     When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
     United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59
     American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
     Nobody helped.

     The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped
     billions of dollars! into discouraged countries. Now
     newspapers in those countries are writing about the
     decadent, warmongering Americans.

     I'd like to see just one of those countries that
     is gloating over the erosion of the United States
     dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country
     in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo
     Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
     If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the
     International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

     Why does no other land on earth even consider putting
     a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
     technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
     technocracy, and you get automobiles.

     You talk about American technocracy, and you find
     men on the moon -! not once, but several times -
     and safely home again.

     You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs
     right in the store window for everybody to look at.
     Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.
     They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless
     they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American
     dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

     When the railways of France, Germany and India
     were breaking down through age, it was the Americans
     who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
     the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
     old caboose. Both are still broke.

     I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced
     to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name
     me even one time when someone else raced to the
     Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside
     help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

     Our neighbours have faced it alone, and I'm one
     Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
     kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
     their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
     to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating
     over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of
     those."

     Stand proud, America!

     This is one of the best editorials that I have ever
     read regarding the United States. It is nice that
     one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the
     world would realize it. We are always blamed for
     everything and never even get a thank you for the
     things we do.

     I would hope that each of you would send this to
     as many people as you can and emphasize that they
     should send it to as many of their friends until this
     letter is sent to every person on the web. I am just a
     single Canadian that has read this.
     I SURE HOPE THAT A LOT MORE READ IT SOON.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list