Re: Voting, etc

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Voting, etc
From: "JustBrits" <justbrits@home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:02:20 -0500
Simon:

<<While I agree with you that people should vote, I think there are many
misconceptions in your thinking.>>

Fortunately, you ARE intitled to your opinion.

<<1. Voting is a freedom that citizens have. >>

INCORRECT.  It IS a RESPONSIBILITY.

<<So is the right to abstain. >>

YEP.

<<Incidentally Australia requires citizens to vote (or at least, to go to
their polling station).>>

Not a bad idea.

<<2. It takes at least 10 years from the time one arrives legally in the USA
on a temporary visa (H1, L1, etc) to the time one can become a citizen (5
years to go from H1 or L1 to Green Card, 5 years from Green Card to
citizen). >>

So what??  Wanna be an AMERICAN??  It is NOT a "gift".

<<During this time, many non-citizens decide to move home.>>

So what??  Don't want to WORK for the "reward" of Citizenship??  GO!!

3. Perhaps one might ask why citizens (mostly born in America) vote in such
small numbers.

Laxness??  Laziness??  I am not sure.  I do (US born), Wife does (US born),
Son does (US born).  Rest, Don't know.  BUT it is STILL a Responsibility of
EVERY Citizen.

<<4. America is a country of immigrants.>>

Agreed.

 It has benefited strongly from
various waves of immigration and >>

In the past, TRUE.

<<continues to do so. >>

 Nope.  The majority are a liability.  They "expect" free schools, free
meals, free in-employment,
not to pay income (ooops, oxymoron!  No income, no tax) tax, and free "Room
and Board".
And Jessie says they should be "defended" and their "rights protected".

Huh?

<<Of course some of the
immigrants were not willing immigrants (Britain used America as a penal
colony).>>

Talk about "lucky" prisoners, huh???!!!

<<Your xenophobia is neither wanted or beneficial.>>

Now THAT IS "the pot calling the kettle black", Simon.

Ed

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list