Re: new virus

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: new virus
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:55:37 -0400
Bullwinkle wrote:

> FWIW:
>
> Note that these are all antivirus programs and they are located
> in the standard location and directory an automatic installation
> places them.  By deleting them, the virus opens up the computer
> to infection.
>
> You can prevent this from happening by installing these antiviral
> progams in non standard locations using contrived directories.
> Most installations allow a "Custom" setup and you can change the
> installation directory location and name.  To delete these non
> standard locations, the virus would then have to search all of
> your directories looking for the starting executable and deleting
> it.  If you are running more than one drive, it would also then
> have to search all drives too.  I have some of my programs on the
> D or E drive, for that reason.
>
> Blake

Blake,

Your observation is chilling! Virus authors apparently really know their stuff.
always do application installations to drives other than the boot drive on the
belief that it lessens the chance that the operating system can be corrupted in
everyday use. Thanks for this tip.

--

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net