Just a Regular Saturday Morning Drive

To: "Mgs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Just a Regular Saturday Morning Drive
From: "O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" <coconnor@ersnet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:24:04 -0400
On Saturday morning my wife and I joined a couple of friends for a drive to
Crawfordville, FL to look at an MGA and a MGC/GT that were for sale.  The
previous owner was in the middle of restoring both of these MGs when he lost
his battle with cancer.  The individual selling the cars does restoration of
Porsches for a living and bought the entire automobile collection from the
deceased that included the MGs, a Sunbeam Alpine and some Porsches.  He has
no interest in the MGs or Sunbeam and is looking for good homes for them.

When the 4 of us arrived an individual from Tampa had already bought the MGA
and was putting it on the trailer.  Then there is the MGC/GT.  Looking at
the wheel wells and the inner door mechanisms, you can tell that this car
was completely disassembled for painting.  The engine and transmission have
been completely rebuilt with some modifications.  The seller showed me all
the parts for the car (which are currently in boxes in the car and on top of
it). There is a new exhaust system with manifold and even an air
conditioning system for it.  The upholstery has been completely redone
(seats are reupholstered but not installed). You have no idea how badly I
would like to park this in my garage, but I have too many projects already.
All the hard work has been done.  Parts alone that come with this car exceed
what the individual is asking - $8,500.00.  I also took some pictures that
I'll be glad to email you.

After we looked at the GT, we were invited back to the seller's place
because he has some MGBs in his junk yard that he thought club members might
be interested in.  These are shells only.  But they are undented with little
rust.  We also saw hoods and doors that belong to MGAs scattered among the
cars.  Gary said he would sell the MGB shells for $100.00 if anyone was
interested.

Also in the junk yard was a Jaguar Saloon that looks in sad shape, but it is
all there and would definitely be restorable.  Glancing around the junk yard
it seemed primarily German and British cars (quite a few Mercedes).  He has
a Datsun 2000 if anyone is interested also.  The Datsun runs.

Before we left he showed me something he thought I would be interested in.
A Jaguar XK-140.  This car has a roof over it to protect it, but it is still
outside.  The wood framed doors would have to be replaced, but otherwise the
entire body is in tact.  I have a couple of pictures if anyone is
interested.  He'll sell the XK for $5,000.00.

If any of you are interested in the cars I mentioned above, send me a note
back and I'll forward the sellers phone number.

Charlie O'Connors
Tallahassee, Florida
2 1971 MGB/GTs
1 1959 Bugeye

HAVE YOU REGISTERED FOR RENDEZVOUS 2001?
www.bigbendmgs.com

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///