Re: Some ignition system questions...

To: Harold Pulcher <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
Subject: Re: Some ignition system questions...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 00:21:51 -0400
Harold Pulcher wrote:
> The reason I thought it was the choke is because it takes forever to get the
> car started especially when cold.  So following a tip from the list, I
> removed the air filter and squirted a little gas with a spray bottle
> directly down the carb.  Guess what?  It didn't even try to fire.

  I'm coming into this midway, so apologies if I am
retreading some other footsteps.

  However, I have had a car that was very hard to start when
warm. It was a choke problem, the choke was stuck on. (SU jets
jamming down, common problem for SUs especially after sitting
or periods of disuse).

  Was simple to fix once known, just push up on the bottom
of the jets, they click into place. However, on the ZS carb
your 1980 likely has, it's not so simple.

  Anyways, if your choke is stuck on, you have lots of gas, too
much obviously. Squirting gas into the carb will only make
it worse. You need to lean it out to get it going. More in
a sec....

> What is happening is that when I get the car to start it run very rough,
> doesn't want to idle, and in the last couple of sessions can't get the rpm's
> up over about 4k.

  Are you getting black stuff out the exhaust, lots
of soot? That is another good sign to check for choke
stuck on.

  Anyway, if your choke is stuck on, it will have the
above symptoms.

  There is one way to see if the car isn't starting because
it's too rich. Whenever the problem manifests, try this:

 Remove the air filter. Lift the carb piston(s) as far
as they will go. Have an assistant hold the piston up while
you try to start the car

  NOTES: Don't use your hand to hold the piston up, because
the car will often backfire out of the hole. As well, don't
use anything that might fall into the carb or lose a part. A
big wrench with a foot-long handle usually works.

  Anyways, this will lean out the car temporarily because
the air flow becomes so slow it hardly draws any gas out
of the jet.

  Try this and give it a crank and see if it will cough
and spit to life. Worked for me.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca