Re: Sanding and Prepping for Paint

To: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sanding and Prepping for Paint
From: "David N Waldmann" <david@vermonthardwoods.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:34:54 -0400
I would recommend "Aircraft Stripper" available from an auto parts store and
strip to bare metal (if you have cracks I will give you a 100% moneyback
guarantee that they will reappear unless you strip). Then use a metal etch
such as "Chem-Grip" to give a (temporary)protective coating and something
for the primer to stick to. Rust can be ground off if not too deep. Just
make sure you get all the way to the bottom of any pits or it'll come back.
If possible you should chemically remove rust with an acid derusting agent.
Small dents can be filled with "Bondo" or lead.

Ideally you will have the car primed before you take it to the pros. The
reason for this is twofold. For one thing, one of the primers jobs is
filling small sanding scratches and tiny airholes you may have gotten in the
filler. Also, when sanding the primer you will more easily see and feel any
hidden dents or irregularities so you can fix them before you get the top
coat on. Spraying primer is relatively easy. You have the primary tool
already - the air compressor. You can get away with a cheap gun for primer.
It's also a good experience, and after priming a few cars maybe you'll get
the nerve up to lay some paint down!

I'd also recommend a book called "How to Restore Your Collector Car" by Tom
Brownell or a similar one. The $20 or 30 you spend for a good book will be
paid back many times.

Good luck!

<dnw>
1972 Midget