Re: Blown Head Gasket

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blown Head Gasket
From: "mghirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:01:14 -0600
There is aobut 40000 miles on my car since I rebuilt the engine.  I did not
use hardened valve seats.  This spring when I had to do a head gasket, I had
the head and valves checked.  There was no problem with either the valves or
the seats.

What has to be understood is that the seats themselves become hardened with
use.  The constant closing of the valves acts like a mini-forge and hardens
the seat.

While I'm not saying that no one has had a problem, I have not noticed it in
any of my cars, or in the engines I have worked on.  If you want to do it
fine, but I have found more problems with the seats becoming loose than with
valve recession.

Maynard Hirsch

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list