gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:11:35 -0600
I have a frustrating problem with a 68 MGB/GT that I am trying to
resurrect from years of storage.    When I finally get it started (the
engine itself is strong), aside from the fact that it runs EXTREMELY
rough, gasoline drips and even pours out of the vent pipes of the SU HS4
carbs.  I always shut it down at this point because of risk of fire (it
makes me nervous to have a spreading pool of gasoline under a running
car).   I have had the float bowls apart numerous times replacing the
floats and the needle valves and cleaning the needle valves.  I currently
have brand new grose jet needle valves installed and new plastic floats.
Yet it still overflows (it seems to mostly come from the front carb).  I
cannot adjust the floats since they are plastic and they don't have the
metal arm to bend like the old ones.   However, I can adjust the level of
the needle valve itself by shimming it with extra washers (which I have
tried with no effect).

Are these carbs supposed to drip gasoline out of these pipes under normal
circumstances?    Any suggestions before I give up and buy a Weber DGV?
Please copy me directly on the reply since I am on digest.

Thanks for your help.   -Greg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///