Re: Lucas Sport

To: <aaronw@wsu.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas Sport
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:58:34 -0000
If it is a 12v coil (2.5 to 3 ohms primary resistance) then you do need to
run a white direct to the coil +ve.  The white/light green also goes to the
solenoid and carries a full 12v during cranking (not needed for a 12v coil)
so don't just leave it dangling where it can come into contact with grounds.

Coils are usually mounted pointy end down so that any oil filling can cool
the terminals.

Again it depends on whether the Mallory coil was a 12v coil or a 6v.  A
friend had some work done to his V8 by a supposedly reputable company and
they did a similar thing - installing a 12v coil AND an additional ballast
in series with the existing ballast.  Made it a bugger to hot start and
after a few hundred miles was well down on power until he sussed out what
they had done.