Re: alternators 2

To: mwjose@cox.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternators 2
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:55:31 +0430
I went through this on my 74 1/2.

I burned up four from a local re-builder before I threw my hands up and went
to the local MG shop, (Motorhead) and asked what the deal was.

Apparently he went through this at his shop some ten years ago, with the
same re-builder and when the failure rate got to around 90% he took some to
another re-builder and had him investigate.

They said that the failures were caused by the re-builder using a cheaper
grade slip ring on the armature then was originally fitted.

Once identified, a correction was made and now the failure rate is around 1
in 20.

Maybe the place you're buying from is doing the same thing?

The shop that he now uses for his re-builds is Arlington Armature in
Springfield, Virginia.  Cost is about the same as the alts from Moss's.

Hope this helps?

Scott Allen
52 TD
74 1/2 BGT