Re: Got a result/Body shop in SFBA?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Got a result/Body shop in SFBA?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:36:04 -0800
One difference is that with body-on-frame construction it is simple to make
the non-structural body panels out of lightweight materials (aluminum,
fiberglass, fabric, wood), so it wasn't "exotic" in the sports car world, at
least. The unit-body B probably needed the doors for stiffness  -- but the
real reason is that the wind-up windows required a thicker, heavier, more
complex door structure. The trunk lid is also more complex, and a tough fit
-- IME with the steel one, an aluminum one wouldn't stand a chance in
day-to-day use. Even the B's aluminum bonnet proved unsuccessful in the long
run (too large, caught too much wind, not stiff enough, not robust enough to
anchor the safety catch).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149