Fixing problem - the easy way

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixing problem - the easy way
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:30:28 -0500
>Get some duct tape.  Cut a small piece, large enough to cover the
>ignition light.  Place it over the light.
>Drive your MG and enjoy it.  Congratulations, you don't have a problem!

This reminds me of a funny story years and years
ago. Driving with a friend in an old beaten up
Vauxhall Viva (wonder if any exist). We were
cruising down the motorway at 65mph and suddenly
we started hearing a rumbling noise. I mentioned
it to my friend who was driving. He proceeded
to turn the volume up on the radio and said
"Sounds as if the noise has gone away!!"
and off we went on our merry way.

A couple of weeks later, he calls me up
to take a trip to the junkyard to pick up
a gearbox and prop-shaft. Apparently the
"rumbling" sound was the UJ on the prop-shaft
giving up. Well, it did give up at 65mph on the
motorway. It flailed around, eventually
ripping the gearbox apart !!!!!

The really sad/funny part is a couple of weeks
later, the same thing happened on my Lotus
Cortina  - I found out gearboxes for these
cars are expensive AND they don't turn up
in junkyards !!!!

Gerry

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list