Re; Paint and Bodywork

To: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Subject: Re; Paint and Bodywork
From: Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:28:59 -0500
Best bet for matching paint color is to go to a automotive paint store.
The one I have dealt with had paint chips and color formula going back to the
1930's.

Brand, never been able to beat Dupont

Book, How to paint your car by David H Jacobs Jr available @ Barnes and Noble,
etc

Hammer and Dolly set, been using a cheap set for >20 years on and off.
It wouldn't be good for someone earning their living beating panels, but great
for a home jobber

I don't know the exact gun you have, but if your dad has experience w/ a good
quality Binks gun, use it.  I have a Binks and a cheap HVLP. I wasted a lot of
paint getting comfortable w/ the HVLP gun.

There isn't a really good way to paint w/ the engine in the car.  By the time
you pull master cylinders, fuse box, heater and other goodies, you might as well
pull the engine.  If your aren't pulling all the small stuff, cover the engine
w/ plastic and tape and tie it in place.  Be careful not to disturb it once
painting starts because paint doesn't stick to plastic very well   -  Don't ask
me how I know.

Remember to wear ALL the protective equipment while you're working.  Paint can
kill you, so can sanding dust

If you want to see pics of my sprite I painted in the backyard, let me know
Tommy
61 MGA
67 Sprite
69 Sprite - parting it out