re: tie rods and gaiters

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: re: tie rods and gaiters
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:47:04 -0600
Monte and list,
        After reading your original and the subsequent suggestions I have to
chime
in. The point that Moss is making has been misinterpreted I think. The
hammer method of removing tie rods, ball joints, shock links and other
tapered fittings is to momentarily oval (verb) the tapered hole. Loosen and
remove the nut. Looking at the hole from the top have one hammer (or other
dead weight) at 9 o'clock and strike smartly with another hammer at 3
o'clock. This will shock and squeeze the hole and the tapered shaft will
easily pop out. This works every time and saves the boots and threads.
Depending on the application, it is not always necessary to have the dead
weight if you can get a swing at the side of the hole opposite the axis of
the arm. (poor description, sorry)
        Peter C

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list