Tranny Troubles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Troubles
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:11:12 -0500
Hello List.
I have a 72 MGBGT with a 79 engine tranny with overdrive unit. The OD
tranny was recently installed after removal from a parts car by a local
tranny shop using a barter agreement. Aparrently some of the
synchronizers are worn, because if I try to shift too fast, I get a
little grind or catch, especially when downshifting, primarily in 2nd and
3rd gears. The more severe problem, however, is with reverse. Once last
week and several times today, when I shift into reverse, I get a higher
pitched whine than normal and very little reverse movement. Sometimes,
reverse seems to engage fine but after moving 10-12 feet, it begins
slipping and giving the higher picth. There is no grinding at all. It's
as if the gear is not engaged at all. My tranny guy says it sound like an
OD problem as oposed to the gearbox. He says with the gear box, it will
either be in or out of gear, and this sounds like the OD unit not
properly converting the torque. The OD switch was definitely NOT engaged,
at least during the most recent occurrence.

Any ideas or input? Advice?

I asked what type of fluid was put in the tranny and OD. He says he knows
that transmission fluid was put in the OD. Could this be a wrong or too
slick fluid problem as I has seen discussed on the list before?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB
'72 BGT in progress