Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install

To: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:50:00 -0000
Shims were fitted by the factory to set the alignment of the rack, both the
vertical and horizontal position of the column-end of the rack shaft.
Stress on the column-shaft bearing is the issue, not on the rack tube.
Depth of engagement of the shafts in the U-joint, which is bolted up to
fixed positions on the shafts by dint of a circumferential groove in one and
a notch in the other, is controlled by the column bolts under the dash.
Having disturbed the cross-member you may now need to fit shims even though
there weren't any there in the first place.  Shim selection was done using a
pair of pointers on the end of the rack and column shafts, the objective is
to get the two points touching one another.  I and others have made ersatz
pointers using wire, blu-tak etc.  Early shafts had the turn signal
cancelling peg screwed into one position, hence the shaft only had one
'correct' rotational position for straight-ahead.  This is set by insering
it into the U-joint in the appropriate position, then altering the position
of the wheel on the shaft as required.  Later columns have a turn-signal
cancelling collar that can be twisted on the shaft, you can still assemble
column shaft to U-joint so that the wheel is 'straight' or assemble any-old
how and adjust the postion of the collar and wheel afterwards.