Re: Stumblin' BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stumblin' BGT
From: "Brent Schwartz" <brentschwartz@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:38:13 -0500
Anyone on the list....   Help,  Please.

I am struggleing with this same problem and am totally convinced
that it is the Fuel Pump.  What tricked me was that when it quit
I would slam the door and it would fill the bowl while I was opening
the hood.  When I started being more gentle I found that the bowls
were empty and the pump wouldn't work untill it was bumped.  I
 ran it with the pump cover off and found that when the car stumbled
and died I could go back to the trunk and lightly touch the toggle and
it will suddenly pump like mad.

I have tried the following things so far:
1.  Clean points - didn't work
2.  Lube Toggle Mechanism - didin't work
3.  Rotated the toggle mechanism one turn
clockwise on the diaphram shaft. - not sure yet....

None of these quite seem to help yet.

I suspect the follwing possibilities
1.  Too stiff a diaphram
2.  Incorrect gap from the toggle to the backing plate

The pump is less than 2 years old and has had this problem
almost since new.  It was better when the engine realy ran
bad.  I think that was because it shook the car so much.  Now
that it is running like silk, it is worse. Maybe because it doesn't
vibrate the pump as much.  Realy frustrating to track down
because it was so intermitant untill recently when I was able
to get the motor running so much better. (new head)

http://www.mgbexperience.com/service/tips/fuel.html

has some interesting articles about half way down the page.
They are answers to questions by Chris Reichle and Rick Morrison.