Re: radiator mystery

To: aschneider@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: radiator mystery
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:05:48 -0400
Aubrey,
  Try testing the thermostat.  Hang it  and a kitchen thermometer in a
pan of water on the kitchen stove and heat.  You should be able to see it
open at 165. If it doesn't begin to open then, toss it and replace. Buy a
new gasket too.
  See if water is circulating in the radiator.  Loosen cap when engine is
cold  (loose cap keeps the pressure from building ) and go driving
around. When temp shows on the gauge, remove the cap with engine running
and take a look to see if coolant is moving around.  It should be
obviously moving once thermostat is open and the water pump is pushing
coolant around.  Stick the kitchen thermometer in the coolant and see
what it reads.  This checks the accuracy (comparative accuracy) of the
gauge.
Bob